Allow non sequential numbered lists

Testing version: 0.1 (1648)

What were you doing: Making multiple numbered lists

What feature did you use: numbered lists

What happened: I want a list of references from the bibliography of a paper I’m reading. In Bear, I have this:

7. Eric Brockmeyer, Ivan Poupyrev, and Scott Hudson. 2013. PAPILLON: Designing Curved Display Surfaces with Printed Optics. In Proceedings of the 26th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST '13). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 457–462.  

55. Thiago Pereira, Szymon Rusinkiewicz, and Wojciech Matusik. 2014. Computational Light Routing: 3D Printed Optical Fibers for Sensing and Display. ACM Trans. Graph. 33, 3 (June 2014), 24:1–24:13.  

81. Karl Willis, Eric Brockmeyer, Scott Hudson, and Ivan Poupyrev. 2012. Printed Optics: 3D Printing of Embedded Optical Elements for Interactive Devices. In Proceedings of the 25th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST '12). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 589–598.

(enclosed as <pre> to prevent the forum from incorrectly renumbering)

And it works properly: the extra line between each item seems to make each one its own list so the numbers are preserved.

In the beta, I get this:

1. Eric Brockmeyer, Ivan Poupyrev, and Scott Hudson. 2013. PAPILLON: Designing Curved Display Surfaces with Printed Optics. In Proceedings of the 26th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST '13). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 457–462.

2. Thiago Pereira, Szymon Rusinkiewicz, and Wojciech Matusik. 2014. Computational Light Routing: 3D Printed Optical Fibers for Sensing and Display. ACM Trans. Graph. 33, 3 (June 2014), 24:1–24:13.

3. Karl Willis, Eric Brockmeyer, Scott Hudson, and Ivan Poupyrev. 2012. Printed Optics: 3D Printing of Embedded Optical Elements for Interactive Devices. In Proceedings of the 25th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST '12). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 589–598.

What did you expect to happen: the empty line in between should reset numbering

Hello! Unfortunately, the single new line is not sufficient in standard markdown to “split” two lists and an extra new line is required for that. We are changing the numeration in this is case because that’s what the exported md will look into HTML or other formats.

It looks like no matter many blank lines I have in between, the list is always continued. I have to put some other kind of content in between to break the lists. It looks like the CommonMark spec suggests using a blank HTML comment in between—is that something that Panda could automatically insert in this situation?

If afraid the specific situation here is not easily identifiable and it’s pretty easy to go against commonMark specs. Another possible solution might be always adding an invisible comment and the end of every list, but this generate a lot extra characters in the file for a very simple MD feature.

I think the important thing for me would be to have my notes migrated correctly, so maybe just detect it in that situation and automatically apply a fix?

Good point! We should absolutely take this into account on note migration.