Copying in Text doesn't handle Page Breaks well

Testing version: Version 1.0 (1648)

What were you doing: I was copying in Text from Pages which had a Page Break at the end of the page.

What feature did you use: Copy from Pages, and Paste in Panda.

What happened: I pasted in text and initially thought it was successful. However, the lingering formatting from the Page Break was also copied in with no visual way to identify it was present. I only found the issue when attempting to make a Header. The attached video will illustrate the issue.

As you will see in the video, the Page Break ends up treating my text:

1. “First Page, third line with a Page Break at the end.” as if it continued with
  2. “Second Page.”

Maybe a better way to describe it is the line with “Second Page” is still treated as part of the previous line, when in fact it is displayed as two separate lines.

What did you expect to happen: I expected the Page Break to be pasted into Bear as a single carriage return (line break), since Panda doesn’t support Page Breaks as it is a single scrollable document.

Hello,

I have tested how some stock apps behave when a page break is pasted and they pretty much behave like Panda. Right now the page break is turned into a Form Feed character when copied inside the clipboard. The form feed it’s indeed historically used as a page break, but also as itself in standard text editors, so I don’t think turning it into a new line might be correct. I do think this will be eventually solved when we’ll introduce a page-break marker.

Thanks and regards.

2 Likes

That makes sense, and thanks for the explanation and LINK!

I learn a lot by reading the forum here, so I appreciate your reasonings here and in other responses. :+1::+1: