Copying rich text from Bear to editor loses indents

@trix180

I think the copy as Rich Text may work differently if the list tag is - instead of *

Also try the round trip in Bear:

1. copy as Rich Text
  2. Paste from Rich Text

:thinking: I seem to get the same outcome.

This is kind of ok atm because of the leading list tabs, that can be eventually removed but I’d like to simulate OP bug first.

But should there be a leading tab on first list item as well?

I assumed that a round trip: Copy As → Rich Text and then Paste From → Rich Text, inside Bear itself, would be the litmus test that those two are working correctly?

Anyway, copy and paste into Word and Pages seems to work correctly.

If it’s working correctly on Word and Pages I’m pretty sure the leading tab is required, but again this is not what I want to address first.

No, this is not expected, or at least not for all the possible cases. Bear and Panda use their internal clipboard for this specific purpose.

Here are 3 copy rich text & pasting examples. In every case, notice that it’s not actually pasting rich lists. It’s just indented dots and dashes that look pretty bad (except in Slack, the top level bullet is a rich bullet, but the sub-bullets are not).

Here is the text I copied as Rich Text from Bear.

Here is what it looks like when I paste it into Slack.

Here is pasting into Google Docs. Same result happens when copying into Microsoft Word.

Here is pasting into Confluence.

1 Like

Looks like with Bear2 testflight, i can’t install Bear 1 anymore without uninstalling and losing my recent data. Any updates on getting the format working would be great!

I have just finished a fix for this issue but I must provide some context. My testing is based on the rich text copying from Bear to GDocs (Chrome), TextEdit (RTF mode), Slack, Pages, and Word.

Word seems to not manage the RTF lists very well or not as the other apps. You can try making a multilevel list in TextEdit and paste it into Word to see the results. I’m aware the above used to work in Word with Bear 2 but I’m not able to have it work for the other apps and Word. This is what concerns me the most about the fix but I have to rely on user feedback. Bear 1 kinda works if you don’t use deep multi-level lists.

Results for other apps are coherent with the original list but some replace the list items (circle, square, dot, …)

GDocs
Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 16.49.27

TextEdit
Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 16.50.22

Pages

Slack

If you want to report other apps to test I’ll be glad to give it a shot.

Is this fix already released in 10816?

Another repost on the same issue:

no, as I wrote I have just finished that and running some tests.

1 Like

PS. as CyndiBidar writes above, it didn’t really work with copy a Rich Text and paste into Word.

I reported that it worked with Word, but it’s not a real bullet list. When I looked at it more closely, it seems to be a “mockup” list made out of tabs, bullet like symbols and text.

It has the nested indents but otherwise doesn’t behave like a Word list.

And as Cyndi says, it used to work from Bear 1.

I don’t know if this was helpful, but anyway …

I also noticed that copying a list from Word and using Paste From Rich Text in Bear 2.0:
The bullets are not converted to propper Markdown tags - dash but something that looks very similar to - dash, and is probably some kind of unicode lookalike.

Also first level of list is indented with tab so the whole list becomes code blocks.

Ok, I think I got a more satisfying result for all the target apps and fix also Cyndi’s issue.

Thanks for reporting this and for the info. The fix will be available with the next update.

1 Like

Thank you! Really excited to get this, as writing in Bear and copy/pasting to Confluence/Google Docs/Slack is my most common workflow.

And each app using different symbols for different levels of indentation is totally expected, so that’s no issue. Thanks again!

1 Like

Just installed the new update. Indents are now working as expected. Thanks for fixing this!

2 Likes

The bullets are working great in Google Docs and Slack! But still the same issue in Confluence :slightly_frowning_face: Any guesses there?

Secondly, I noticed that in all apps, when copying headers as rich text, they get pasted as bold text instead of headers. Is that working as designed?

I can see it works as expected if I copy a list from Notes but I have to investigate.

Unfortunately, yes. RTF doesn’t have the concept of “Headers” and the apps have to work on the text size and other parameters to guess what’s a header and what’s not.

1 Like

Sounds good. If it helps, if I export a note as a Word doc, and then use Confluence’s Word import feature, it works perfectly. It’s just the copy/pasting rich text that does this.

I’m not sure to what extent this is considered fix, but copying a bulleted list from 11093 and pasting into Apple Mail completely flattens the bullets, and pasting into a TextEdit rtf document mostly preserves indents, but has some levels with missing bullets. I can provide more details/examples later if needed.

1 Like

This was painful but I think I fixed the paste of lists on Mail.app. Please give another round of rich text copy and paste with the next update.

3 Likes

@trix180 any work done on this for Confluence by chance?

Yes, pasting lists on Confluence seems to work as expected now.

1 Like