Copying rich text from Bear to editor loses indents

PS. as CyndiBidar writes above, it didn’t really work with copy a Rich Text and paste into Word.

I reported that it worked with Word, but it’s not a real bullet list. When I looked at it more closely, it seems to be a “mockup” list made out of tabs, bullet like symbols and text.

It has the nested indents but otherwise doesn’t behave like a Word list.

And as Cyndi says, it used to work from Bear 1.

I don’t know if this was helpful, but anyway …

I also noticed that copying a list from Word and using Paste From Rich Text in Bear 2.0:
The bullets are not converted to propper Markdown tags - dash but something that looks very similar to - dash, and is probably some kind of unicode lookalike.

Also first level of list is indented with tab so the whole list becomes code blocks.

Ok, I think I got a more satisfying result for all the target apps and fix also Cyndi’s issue.

Thanks for reporting this and for the info. The fix will be available with the next update.

1 Like

Thank you! Really excited to get this, as writing in Bear and copy/pasting to Confluence/Google Docs/Slack is my most common workflow.

And each app using different symbols for different levels of indentation is totally expected, so that’s no issue. Thanks again!

1 Like

Just installed the new update. Indents are now working as expected. Thanks for fixing this!

2 Likes

The bullets are working great in Google Docs and Slack! But still the same issue in Confluence :slightly_frowning_face: Any guesses there?

Secondly, I noticed that in all apps, when copying headers as rich text, they get pasted as bold text instead of headers. Is that working as designed?

I can see it works as expected if I copy a list from Notes but I have to investigate.

Unfortunately, yes. RTF doesn’t have the concept of “Headers” and the apps have to work on the text size and other parameters to guess what’s a header and what’s not.

1 Like

Sounds good. If it helps, if I export a note as a Word doc, and then use Confluence’s Word import feature, it works perfectly. It’s just the copy/pasting rich text that does this.

I’m not sure to what extent this is considered fix, but copying a bulleted list from 11093 and pasting into Apple Mail completely flattens the bullets, and pasting into a TextEdit rtf document mostly preserves indents, but has some levels with missing bullets. I can provide more details/examples later if needed.

1 Like

This was painful but I think I fixed the paste of lists on Mail.app. Please give another round of rich text copy and paste with the next update.

3 Likes

@trix180 any work done on this for Confluence by chance?

Yes, pasting lists on Confluence seems to work as expected now.

1 Like