Feature: Read only mode for notes

I’d like to have a kind of “hard” to reach read-only toggle for notes that would prevent me from accidental edits on notes I hardly ever edit but often read.

This is especially important to me on notes with files. It’s so easy to delete a file with a single delete press.

2 Likes

Same. Being able to toggle edit/reading mode would be amazing!

2 Likes

We are evaluating how to structure the UI for read-only mode but at the moment I can’t tell if this is going to see the light before or after Bear 2.0 release.

I think there is a difference between a read mode and read only toggle for single notes. The first one is a global mode that refers to all notes whereas the toggle option is related to a single note. I would prefer the latter one

1 Like

Not completely equivalent, but hope there are some improvements in the archive feature, which is technically a read-only mode. (although more difficult to move between read and edit mode)
If the archived item can retain the tag structure, or perhaps just be separated within the same tag (but under a segmented subheading say) and be collected in the archive tab, it would be much more useful feature. Currently, I just ‘archive’ my notes in a different tag since I would not edit them but if I archive them, the structure is lost, and I have no hope in finding notes within tens and hundreds of notes.

1 Like

Just would like to add my vote to this as a feature i would like to see in Bear. I would love to be able to have the option to lock single notes so I don’t accidentally misclick and lose something.

2 Likes

My vote for this feature too.
I asked this on reddit two times before I entered this group after loosing important stuff by mistake.

Would be great, but an even better solution would be a version history. Although I could see the value of a read-only mode, since you may not realize when you accidentally delete something.

1 Like