Filesystem storage rather than SQLite database

I have appreciated the stand-alone nature of Panda notes being a file on the disk. This allows me to save the files in a DropBox folder and leverage Dropbox’s rollback history. I have unlimited rollback on Dropbox, and I can look up a previous version of a file/note using the Dropbox UI and optionally restore it. I also have Time Machine as an option to view/restore an old version.

Further, Dropbox handles sync across all my devices so I could turn that off in Bear.

When Bear uses an SQLite database to store notes, the file-based rollback feature is not available, but it is very important.

I understand some people prefer the database architecture and the roll-back is not important, or even a consideration, to them (Concerned about Panda not working within a database) but perhaps this can be an option?

• database-based (with Bear-sync)
  • file-based (no Bear-sync)
2 Likes

Alternative pitch: ask the devs to make a zapier integration so you can customise your versioning? (I don’t actually use zapier because any app i would use it for has an API i can access, but many others use zapier for the kind of thing you are talking about)

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a post and suggestion.

There is no current plans for this (file storage) for Bear.

Regarding Panda and its current storage option, it was just meant to be a throwaway tester for the new Editor for Bear.

However, due to customer feedback we are now thinking about possibly also having Panda as a standalone Editor after it’s added into Bear.

Our priority at the moment is to complete and implement our new Editor for Bear. Everything else will be re-evaluated after the new Editor is released, but i’ll pass on your suggestion to the team for them to think about and discuss moving forward.

3 Likes

Does this mean the standalone Panda app could be a one-time cost rather than a subscription model?

1 Like

A request, if it hasn’t already been considered, for a sidebar to which you can add folders. I’m currently using Panda as a replacement for Typora for markdown, quicker access to my files is all I really need nwo.

1 Like

Hi there,

This has not yet been decided :slight_smile:

Thank you for the suggestion, i’ll pass it onto the full team to discuss and consider.

Exactly my case. +1 for file based storage. Especially when Bear can’t encrypt notes with attachments.

1 Like