iPad with Magic Keyboard

Testing version: 0.1 (2208)

What were you doing: on iPad pro with Magic Keyboard

What feature did you use: trying to follow links / footnotes rather than edit them

What happened: when the iPad is attached to the Magic Keyboard, even with the keyboard bar “hidden” by selecting the appropriate icon from the bottom-right portion of the screen, trying to select a link / footnote returns to edit mode.

What did you expect to happen: I expected that clicking the link / footnote would allow me to follow the link. If I undock the iPad from the Magic Keyboard and hide the virtual keyboard, this functions appropriately. If I redock it and hide the keyboard bar, it consistently returns me to edit when I try to select a link.

Addendum: this does not happen when selecting links within table cells.

1 Like

Additionally, this loss of context (edit vs. view) happens when trying to interact with an animated GIF, for example. Once the iPad is docked and enters edit mode, even if you later hide the keyboard you cannot “play” the GIF, only edit it.

Would that be it?

I did experience that once, but this is more subtle…

Not the most straight forward video, but I start with the iPad undocked and interact with the GIF and footnote with and without the virtual keyboard open. Then I dock the iPad and try to interact with the GIF and footnote but you can see that even “hiding” the keyboard bar while docked, you remain in an edit state and cannot interact with the GIF and footnote in a non-editing fashion.

Hi there,

Thank you for reporting this. I’ll pass it onto the team to have a look into.

May I ask, what system version are you using on your iPad Pro? Also, is this issue still occurring for you?

Hi yes it is still occurring (after the most recent update with PDF preview) - iPad OS 14.8.

Hi there,

Thank you for the additional information. We’ll investigate further.

cc - @matteo

I’m also having this issue, along with the conflicting markdown overlay “keyboard”.