Make "Info panel" global when its floating so it persist between notes

Problem: After you pop out the Info panel, making it floating, if you then move to another note it disappears.

Solution: Have it persist after it’s popped out and made floating. This is what I would expect as intuitive behaviour as it is now a window of its own (so why would it disappear/note show when I switch to a different note?)

Use case: This would allow me to have several notes open, pop-out the Info panel, place it appropriately on my screen, and then have it reflect the current note I’m viewing/writing in.

1 Like

Hi there,

Is this regarding the current version of Panda? If so, the info panel window when pulled out to float should stay present even when opening a new note.

What device, device system version, and version of Panda are you currently using?

Hi. Well. True that in Bear it disappears when swapping between notes. It doesn’t do this in Panda (sorry for being unclear). I just didn’t know where this feature belonged as I assume this behaviour is gonna be decided once Panda editor will merge back into Bear.

I assume we are many that are waiting for the ToC, so it would be sad if it’s too complicated to invoke as in every time you move to a different note you have to open it. This is where a popped out global version makes sense, as in you are making an active choice about wanting to work with ToC (or view dates for that matter) for a longer period of time in e.g. that you are swapping between notes actively using the information related by this panel. Whereas, if you just wanted to quickly glance at the ToC in the note you are viewing you wouldn’t pop it out (e.g. you are writing in one note only for a longer time). It’s about supporting different modes/use cases. Just like writing vs. organising notes.

Currently the behaviour in Panda is that they stay open when popped out, but I still find this extremely useless as in what actual use case do you wanna spend time popping out the info panel for e.g. 5 notes and placing them somewhere on the screen? Once a panel is popped out it loses the relationship to the note it is popped out from and thus should not continue to belong to this note, but instead be global. It’s a window of its own. It belongs to no note as you as a user can no longer make out such a relationship. I would even still venture to say that at least a great number of people would expect a floating panel/window to reflect the note which is currently being viewed.

Below I have a photo illustrating the useless of multiple floating panels and their lack of relationship to their (which is currently the bad case) parent notes.

In the above they are swapped around so the left panel belongs to the right note and vice versa. As a user you have no way of knowing by looking at this. Now imagine if you open more notes and pop out their panels… Plus the fact that with more floating panels (just to be able to use the ToC feature) you are taking up more and more screen real estate.
You are essentially demanding of the user to be able to remember which panel belongs to which note.

Hi there,

Many thanks for your response, and for providing some in-depth feedback.

I consulted with the development team on the above and at the moment we don’t have a finalised decision for the design and functionality of this feature.

We’re still discussing the best approach and what will make the most sense for Bear moving forward, so thank you for the additional information.

If there’s anything further you’d like to add about this, please do so on this thread and I can pass it over to the team.

In the meantime, if there’s any other queries or questions you have that I can help you with let me know!