Markdown image support

Hi @TedwardBear and team. Apologies if this request has been asked and addressed - if so, I’m not finding it. But would it be possible for Panda to support markdown images - ie. ![](image_url). I have no idea if that’s a huge development challenge or not, but it would be a super nice feature if possible.

Much appreciated!

-Anthony

5 Likes

I mentioned it, but I didn’t get an answer.

Hi Anthony,

No apology necessary!

Regarding the above, we’re already supporting that syntax.

However, if this is in regards to wanting a remote image to show up, that’s something we still haven’t decided if we can/want to implement or not.

This topic will be discussed amongst the full team, a final decision on it has not yet been made.

Hoping this explanation helps!

1 Like

Hi @TedwardBear - yes, this was in regards to displaying the remote image within the note. Which would be incredibly helpful for porting in existing markdown notes - not to mention not needing to save images within the SQLite database.

I appreciate your feedback and transparency on the current status. Please count this as a +1 for that feature, if that makes any difference.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

You need to display the network image, and even if you cannot display the network image, load the network image locally, and then display the local image. That is, the image can be automatically converted to local and then displayed. Otherwise, the markdown text I copied won’t display properly.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification Anthony. Just noting here that your vote was added :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 for this feature!

1 Like

Thanks for the comment, the vote has been added :slight_smile:

+1 for this feature, I have thousands of Markdown files with external images using the ! [] (url) syntax.

1 Like

Your vote has been added for consideration Dirk! :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 for this feature, if you’re still taking votes :slight_smile:

@matteo Since Panda already have link preview, how difficult could it be to preview external images?

This workaround displays images kind of ok in Panda now:

[Image](https://europe1.discourse-cdn.com/standard20/uploads/bear/original/2X/1/11287fbd0b9bd05c75d15868414eb7ea619d40f2.jpeg)<!-- {"preview":"true"} -->

So why not also add support for displaying with standard ![](image_url) Markdown syntax?

But probably good to be user selected on/off globally in editor settings and also enable resizing?

P.S. My request is for Panda/Bear 2.1 :wink:

I think the main problem with remote images by URL is you can’t predict how large they’re going to be. Local images, and how big they should look (in Panda) is all predictable behavior, but a URL can return anything. It could even show different images at different times with different sizes and that could make the editor feel unstable.

There are ways around these problems, but it’s not an obvious thing:

1. Bear could do what it does with the link previews and render a predefined frame for any remote images. This would mean having a BOX with an image within.
  2. Bear could automatically download and attach the remote image in place of the markdown image.

I personally think option 1 here would be great. Rendering a big box as a frame for remote images would also enable other features down the line, such as iFrames. iFrames, similar to remote images don’t have any predetermined size, but putting them in a hardcoded frame size would fix that problem too.

+1 for this feature, ! () support is must have, otherwise it’s not Markdown editor

Any news on this? It would be really useful to have :slightly_frowning_face: