Overlapping styling doesn't work correctly

Testing version:
Version 2.0 (9652)

What were you doing:
Testing the ability to overlap styling (e.g., to underline text that was partly bolded, and partly not)

What feature did you use:
Keyboard shortcuts for styling (Cmd-B, Cmd-U)

What happened:
I started with text like this:

Testing overlapping styling. **Overlap here. Testing overlapping styling.** Testing overlapping styling. 

Then I selected the first five words and pressed Cmd-U. The result was:

~Testing overlapping styling. **Overlap here.~ Testing overlapping styling.** Testing overlapping styling. 

looking like this:

What did you expect to happen:

Instead, I would have expected something like this (iA Writer gets it right, for example):

~Testing overlapping styling.~ **~Overlap here.~ Testing overlapping styling.** Testing overlapping styling. 

looking like this:

Similarly, partial removal of styling should be possible.

1 Like

This is still a problem in the new version. Any comments from the team on this?

It may seem minor but for a workflow like mine (using the web clipper a lot, and highlighting interesting passages), it is kind of a big deal.

I don’t believe this is a standard behaviour actually. It worked in Bear 1.0 somehow but I haven’t had any other (limited choice of) apps working witht that notation.

Bear 1.0 didn’t have the option to do double styling at all. So no, it didn’t work.

And yes, it’s standard behavior in all WYSIWYG apps and in several Markdown apps as well.

I have to check with the others developers here, but I do agree with you about the expected result.

1 Like