Panda / Bear update release date

I feel like this topic has been discussed already but I can’t find it after searching this forum. Is there a general time period users can look forward to for the Panda → Bear integration? I’m considering canceling my subscription to Bear until Panda can be integrated, but if it’s soon then I probably won’t. I think Panda is great for standalone notes, but for my usage, the navigation of Bear makes much more sense. However, I find Bear to be unusable atm, especially after trying out Panda and seeing how good it is!

2 Likes

Hi there,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a post. I can see that this is your first time posting here, so welcome to the community!

We’re happy to see that you are interested in this, but generally we do not provide ETA’s for things.

We understand that this can be frustrating for people, but we have our reasons for this.

Our aim is to release the product of our work when it reaches a quality benchmark, not arbitrary deadline.

However, more background is given by one of our devs in the comments of this Reddit post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/bearapp/comments/s78la6/i_wish_devs_were_open_about_what_is_delaying_the/

1 Like

Happy to hear the details about the 2.0 release. Migrating to C++ from ObjC isn’t trivial and at the same time ensuring you will be able to leverage the codebase for other implementations (web) adds to the time and complexity. I’m extremely happy to hear that the native apps will continue to be a priority as having the option to operate locally or sync via a cloud platform is critical imho.

Which leads me to wondering how you will implement your web solution as you will then have to have a greater coupling with a cloud provider unless you’re getting into hosting the web backend yourself (I assume not). I look forward to the transparency on the dev of the web solution if simply out of curiosity. It will be interesting to see how you implement the native solutions with the web solution and whether an option to enroll (i.e. current sync option) or if our local native solutions will become always cloud integrated (prefer to opt-in).

thanks and patiently waiting for the 2.0 integration
-tom

Hi Tom,

We’re happy to hear that you’re happy about the 2.0 release!

Yes Panda is 100% native.

However, part of it has code written in C code. C code can be converted to webassembly, which can be used in web apps.

Hoping this explanation helps, but if you’ve any further questions let me know and I can consult the devs for you!

Thank you. I am a retired software engineer/architect and c/c++ was one of the many languages I used over the course of my career; so, I’m actually quite pleased to see there are still some apps being written using it and that the native and hopefully local DB will be maintained.

The web option isn’t needed for me, more in that “nice to have” camp but I will be interested in seeing how they architect all these solutions to enable the web solution. I personally like having my data local and ideally, I’d love to be able to select notes or a tagged set of notes to sync and eventually that sync could be used for the web view too. Consider the use-case that has me traveling and I add a #mobile or #travel tag to the notes I want to access anywhere (I know, I’ll forget the one note I really need). That would allow me to maintain a level of security and at the same time publish to external servers that I can’t control but will trust others with a subset of notes to secure.

Looking forward to the evolution of Bear.

thanks
-tom

Thank you for your response, your viewpoint, and your kind words Tom!

Hoping you’ve a lovely weekend

– Tedward :slight_smile: