Testing version: Version 2.0 (10209)

What were you doing: Pasting from Google Docs

What feature did you use:

• Paste
  • Paste from Rich Text
  • Paste from HTML

What happened:

• Paste: Pasted without any rich formatting at all
  • Paste from Rich Text: does nothing (doesn’t even paste without formatting)
  • Paste from HTML: Does not contain formatting like bold

What did you expect to happen:
One of these paste options keeps rich text formatting like bold/italics.

1 Like

Apparently, the HTML copied inside the pasteboard by Docs doesn’t use the standard tags (<b>, <em>, ...) but inline styled <span>. No rich text is provided in the pasteboard. Considering this situation I honestly don’t know how to migrate Docs copied text into markdown :thinking:

In Bear 1, plain old Paste does what’s expected. So does every other app that I just tested. I’m still confused about B2’s pasteboard philosophy.

Yeah, I mostly reported this because I copy/paste between Google Docs and Bear 1 all the time, and it felt like a regression. Not sure how else I can help :frowning:

1 Like

If B1 is working correctly I’m definitely missing something. Can you please tell me which browser are you using Docs with?

[Disclaimer: I may have accidentally hijacked this thread. Paste From Rich Text from Google Docs, does indeed misbehave in both B1 and B2. Although they are broken in different ways. I was talking about pasting of formatted text being broken in general in B2.]

I’m not sure how to present this most usefully, so I’ll go for verbose. I created three separate Google Docs in Firefox, Brave, and Safari. Then I selected text and Cmd-C’ed to the clipboard. Then Pasted into B1 and B2 using all the Paste methods in each app. In all cases, the source browser did not make any difference. Paste From Rich Text in B2 didn’t paste anything. Only plain old Paste in B1 does what I expect. I really miss it.

I thought that maybe my clipboard manager (Clipy) might be the problem. But I quit that guy and repeated the test. Same results.

Here are two screen caps, and then the raw markdown.

If others are seeing different results, then please ignore all my complaining about Paste behavior in this (and other) threads. But then I sure would like to understand what’s wrong with my setup. And if others are seeing the same behavior, I’d like to understand why they’re good with it.

# Paste test into Bear1
## Paste (⌘V)
## Heading 3 from Firefox

My new doc with ~underline~, *italics*, **bold**, and **bold-italics**.

---
## Heading 3 from Brave

My second doc with ~underline~, **bold**, *italics* and *bold-italics*. 

---
## Heading 3 from Safari

My third doc with ~underline~, **bold**, *italics* and **bold-italics**.

## Paste From Rich Text
Heading 3 from Firefox

My new doc with underline, italics, bold, and bold-italics.

---
Heading 3 from Brave

My second doc with underline, bold, italics and bold-italics. 

---
Heading 3 from Safari

My third doc with underline, bold, italics and bold-italics.

## Paste From HTML
Heading 3 from Firefox My new doc with underline, italics, bold, and bold-italics.
---
Heading 3 from Brave My second doc with underline, bold, italics and bold-italics.
---

## Paste From Markdown
Heading 3 from Firefox

---
Heading 3 from Brave

---
Heading 3 from Safari

# Paste test into Bear2  (10209)
## Paste (⌘V)
Heading 3 from Firefox

---
Heading 3 from Brave

---
Heading 3 from Safari

## Paste From Rich Text

---

----

## Paste From HTML
### Heading 3 from Firefox

---
### Heading 3 from Brave

---
### Heading 3 from Safari

I can confirm I’m seeing similar behaviour. I’m using Safari.

• In B1, I can do a normal paste from Safari/Google Docs and it keeps formatting (even bullets!)
  • If I want to go from B1 back to Google Docs, Paste from Rich Text does what I expect.
  • In B2, none of the options above seem to work as expected.

Thanks for looking into this. I can tell this is going to be an annoying one :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Apparently, old I figured out how to convert Google Docs HTML pasteboard in B1 :sweat_smile:

The next update will take care of handling from Docs pasteboard and will prioritize rich over plain text for normal paste (B1 behavior).

2 Likes

Ha! Amazing news.

Glad Google could keep you on your toes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: