Pressing return on an empty list inserts newline

Hi, I much prefer the old editor behavior:

• here is a list
  • // pressing return again deletes the bullet

The new behavior is like this:

• here is a list
  • // pressing return again deletes the bullet AND inserts a newline

I do not like the newline that is inserted because hitting enter is the fastest way for me to stop the list. The newline is unexpected and undesirable for my common case: I want to just stop the list as quickly as possible and add new text, double enter is the fastest way to do that.

Will there be an option in preferences to return to the old behavior?

p.s. I see that todo lists maintain the old behavior (pressing enter on an empty line removes the list - yay!

I disagree. To me, the new behaviour looks much better.

Best regards

Just to expand on this, one of the common workflows for me is to break up a long list of items.

• a
  • b // 1. place cursor here
  • c
  • d

// 2. press for this result:

• a

• b

• c

• d

With the new behavior I can achieve this by pressing which feels slower to me.

One of the main reasons I choose Bear over other text editors is because of how fast it feels when I’m editing - I don’t feel like I’m fighting against the default behaviors in the app. If you folks do decide on the new behavior and there isn’t a “legacy newline” option, please consider making the new behavior consistent for: todos (as mentioned in my previous reply) and quotes in addition to ordered/unordered lists.

Hello!

With the new editor adopting Markdown’s standards this is the “best” behaviour for writing text, I’ll explain why:

if you want to stop a list, you need a blank newline after it, otherwise the text you’re going to write will be still part of the list:

* foo
bar 

In this case “bar” is still part of the list element “foo”.

If you want the list to stop, you need a newline between those:

* foo

bar 

It’s really convenient that Panda is adding a newline when you’re deleting the last list element with :leftwards_arrow_with_hook: so you can keep writing and you’ll be outside the list, if you don’t want the newline you can just hit ⌫.

Let me know if this make sense to you.

All lists elements (ordered, unordered, todo, block quotes) behave the same way, so it should be consistent everywhere. If you find a case where this is not consistent I’m happy to look at it.

Best.