[ProductionFeatureRequest] Import table content

IMO the only thing that is missing in bear is table, I’m glad that it is added in Panda. However in order to use it you have to manually type every entry, which is not convenient especially if there’s a prexisting form (whether from web or office). I would suggest add paste support and if not, at least an option to import tables from CSV, that would be great.

3 Likes

Welcome!

Yes, we are working in that direction, we want to allow easy ways to import tables via copy and paste. Regarding CVS and HTML pages, an idea we are evaluating to import them expanding Bear’s “copy as” functionalities.

Regards.

Is copy/paste or import table from markdown still under development? Many online tools export data as small tables that I think would be suitable for Bear notes.

Example:

Cereal Name | Ingredients | Flavor
--- | --- | ---
| Fruit Loops | corn, sugar, water, salt, fruit | Sweet/Fruity |
| Cocoa Puffs | corn, sugar, water, salt, cocoa | Chocolatey |
| Lucky Charms | corn, sugar, water, salt, flour, gelatin | Marshmallows |

Hi, you can find the table’s export options in the … menu inside a cell.

Paste from HTML/Rich Text allows to copy tables from webpages or apps like Pages. Regarding markdown tables, they just work if you paste the table code but the one you posted doesn’t seems correct

|Cereal Name | Ingredients | Flavor|
|--- | --- | ---|
| Fruit Loops | corn, sugar, water, salt, fruit | Sweet/Fruity |
| Cocoa Puffs | corn, sugar, water, salt, cocoa | Chocolatey |
| Lucky Charms | corn, sugar, water, salt, flour, gelatin | Marshmallows |

There’s some missing pipes in the one I posted. Adding them parsed it correctly. Copying yours works. I’m still testing.

But, it also depends on where you paste it.

If I copy this:

| Neoskizzles | Purple | Sweet |
| Loheckles | Grayish-blue | Tart |
| Pounits | Bright green | Savory |
| Loopnovas | Neon pink | Sweet |
| Glowls | Pale orange | Sour/bitter |

I’ll get the same in B2, but not if I paste it after an existing table row;

The above, to be a valid MD table, need to have this as second line

|--- | --- | ---|

If you paste it after a table it works because the header separator is already included above, but before it can’t work.

1 Like

Copy/paste of the header separator works. However, it’s tricky to type it. I was typing the dashes too fast in the header separator. The dashes won’t register unless you type very slowly.

Any chance you have the smart dashes option on?

1 Like

They’re off now and it’s working fine :+1: