Show/Hide Markdown

@matteo: Thank you, this is good news! :grinning:
If I wanted a pure MD-Editor, I could find many in the App-Store and the Internet for probably less money and if Bear would develop in that direction I would certainly cancel my subscription.
For me, Bear is an app that allows me to take my daily notes comfortably - because of MD - with a nice and easy way to organize them. I keep my notes in Bear and I seldom export them into another format, so I want my notes look good and to be easily read within Bear. Therefore a hybrid solution that hides the MD-syntax when not in editing Mode is the way I would like Bear to further develop to. Another way could be a syntax on/off-switch or -shortcut.

3 Likes

Agree with the others. I think an app like Typora found a good balance between keeping the markdown and having a text easy to read. I would be happy if the dev decided to follow that path

+1.

markdown is very useful but it is distracting when combined with WYSIWYG rendering. I think many people would prefer one or the other but not both at the same time. Make it optional and you’ll make everyone happy :wink:

cheers,
-tomek

1 Like

If Hybrid is the way, an option to turn if off and on would be great from users point of view.
I really hope Bear team look into this. As quite a few folks are requesting it!

I’ve seen some editors when you are in a paragraph the Markdown appears but then… when your cursor moves… the mark down notations disappear and you are left with a formatted text. That would be really nice so less switching between Markdown preview on and off.

1 Like

Aside from the high development cost of this, let me chime in with the case for it staying the way it is.

I agree with Bear’s design decision on this. The flipping back and forth is cumbersome and an interface only a programmer could love (code <-> view).

However, I do wish that some of the symbols indicating the markdown be even less intrusive (especially since bold now has two * around it) so that the approximation to final presentation is as clean and close to WYSIWYG as possible while still being easily editable. I like the new header icon because of this (and suggest H4-H6 be different).

1 Like

I’ve installed Typora and gave it a try and I must say it’s a really nice implementation where markdown only shows when the cursor is on a word or sentence that has markup.
Really clean and easy on the eyes. Wouldn’t mind is the devs gave it their consideration to add this as an option in prefs (or a shortcut toggle).

I don’t see how what we’re asking for would be a hugely expensive piece of code. We’re not asking for a mutually exclusive WYSIWYG and MD modes. We’re asking for a way to optionally hide the MD markup and only show the rendered output. The suggestion that markup should be be shown when editing a particular piece of text is excellent.

Markup code is very useful and I don’t want to get rid of this excellent piece of functionality. I just want to be able to hide it as it is very distracting.

+1 I just played around with Typora upon reading this comment, and after only a few minutes, I love the implementation. It hides what I consider the ugly MD markup, and keeps all of the benefits of MD and “real-time” editing, without the horrifying back-n-forth of code/view modes. Kudos to the Typora design team, and I URGE Bear to consider this for Editor 2.0… I know it means starting from scratch probably yet again, but highly highly encouraged. Typora also, incidentally, addresses my other suggestions: (this is HUGE) proper search highlighting in the sidebar of all terms found, even when there are multiple within a single document; as well as automatically generating TOC optionally within the document but always available using a drop-down menu.

I’m one of those (awful) people who don’t care at all about markdown but love Bear, so I totally understand the annoying thing about folks like me complaining about an app doing right what it is supposed to do.

The fact is, Bear’s team made one of the best note taking app out there (if not the best), each time I want to switch because of the visible MD I come back for all the rest. So yeah I’ll continue to advocate for it, especially since Bear’s team never stopped to make us dream about making it reality one day.

Like other folks here I must agree that the way Typora handles it is really awesome, clean and seamless, far better than apps with toggles or reading mode.

1 Like

Hello everyone!

The last update introduced an optional way to hide Markdown -> Panda release notes 1.0(532) - Markdown Hiding and Headers

Let us know how do you feel about it and what can we do to improve it :slight_smile:

Best.

4 Likes

This is EXACTLY how I imagined this feature would work. Thank you!

2 Likes

This feature is LIT!!! Thank you. Man, Bear team, please keep this in the final release :fire: :fire: :pray:t6:

2 Likes

Yes brilliant, much appreciated. I realise this doesn’t add much to the conversation but I’m hoping the positive responses to this feature ensure it make it into the rproduct.
…Ian.

1 Like

I just revisited this forum after a long time due to a family circumstances and a vacation and I was filled with joy that you’ve chosen to implemented auto-hide markup. It’s what I wished for for a long time. It makes everything look so undisturbed and clean. Please keep it for the Bear 2.0. Thanks again!

I was wondering about one thing though in the last Version 1.0 (615).
Wouldn’t it be an idea to show the ‘>’ when your cursor is at the start of a quote? Currently with auto-hide on there’s no way to see the markdown character with quotes.

Similarly, tables and todos do not show as markdown when the auto hide markdown is toggled.

Related – there does not seem to be a way to simply type ‘[ ]’ or ‘- [ ]’ to create a task.

Not sure if you rather prefer more or less threads… adding to this old one.

Thank you for all the great work on the new editor. Fantastic.

While Panda on macOS has an option to toggle “Auto Hide Markdown” this seems to be the default setting on iOS and no way to change it. Is this going to stay?

Though I know, many of my fellow users wanted a clean view, in my opinion this would be very very sad. The hybrid approach is one of the beauties of Bear. It attracted me in the first place and I enjoy it every day.

Would a button to show/hide be an option?

Any update on the rollout of this feature?

His answer from a similar post related to Auto hide on iOS.