Small mistranslation in German version

I just took the latest 2.0 Beta (10209) for a spin and was delighted to see that it is fully translated to German, my mother tongue. :heart: I did find a small issue with the translation, though: in the sidebar, the “Archive” is labeled as “Archivieren”, which however is not the noun form (“archive”) but the verb (“to archive”). The noun would be “Archiv”.

Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-13 um 07.49.26

Otherwise, the translation looks great. Looking forward to the final 2.0 release!

3 Likes

Hello, I think this is an issue with the word “archive” localization because can be translated as a verb and a noun. I’ll check if we work around this issue. Thanks for reporting this.

1 Like

In the german translation of bear 1 there are some more issues of that kind. When bear 2 arrives as public beta I will list all the failed translations

Even in the screenshot above there is one more: Rather than „locked“ (Gesperrt) it is written „locked ones“ (Gesperrte)

1 Like

Actually, I think “Gesperrt” is just fine, there is no need for using the plural adjective “Gesperrte”. In fact, looking at other Mac apps with sidebar on my system (Apple Reminders, Mail.app, …), singular adjectives like “Markiert” (marked), “Geplant” (planned), etc. are the norm, and using the plural form would be highly unusual.

The way I interpret this is that rather than “Locked” being short for “the locked ones”, it’s rather an property that is being filtered for (“every note which is locked”), hence the simple adjective form. In any case, it’s good to follow the prevailing convention here rather than inventing a new one.

Actually these are not adjectives but participles. By declining them they are transformed to adjectives. And that results then to the strange and unusual translation in bear. The singular of that adjectiv would still be „Gesperrte“ („gesperrte Notiz, gesperrte Notizen“) and not „Gesperrt“ :wink:
For all non native speakers: it is like that because in german language a note is female :grin:

By that logic, Apple Reminders would need to say “Markierte” (“markierte Erinnerung”), but it does not. Same for other first-party apps. So that is apparently not the convention - it seems to rather be the adjective‘s basic form. So "Gesperrt” fits the OS convention perfectly.

(I will speak in German as I think there is a misunderstanding)

Vielleicht irre ich mich nur oder aber wir beide reden tatsächlich aneinander vorbei. Ich denke, wir sind uns einig, dass da das reine Partizip Perfekt stehen sollte und kein Adjektiv. Kann sein, dass es unserem schwachen Englisch geschuldet ist, dass ich oder/und Du glauben, dass wir es unterschiedlich sehen :wink:

Yeah, we have been speaking past each other - and that’s entirely my fault. :sweat_smile: I thought you were advocating for using “Gesperrte” instead of “Gesperrt”. Now I looked at the screenshot again and noticed it’s the reverse: it says “Gesperrte” now, and that you are suggesting “Gesperrt” instead. So we agreed all along. :sweat_smile: Sorry for the confusion.

And yes, you are right, grammatically speaking it’s a participle, not an adjective. :slight_smile:

2 Likes