Something fuzzy this way comes 🐻‍❄️

Of course! Didn’t think to look inside the package. Thanks!
And I really like Bear’s opinionated design. It’s just that I’m kind of opinionated too about my fonts (working in writing / publishing). But that’s fine – I can just slap Bear Sans in Drafts instead of importing iA Duospace in Bear :wink:

2 Likes

Agree with you … that Duospace font is also quite nice!

1 Like

:smile: :smile:

good good

If we could redesign the UI to give users a fresh new look would be must great. The current UI is very similar to the old Bear.

Cannot wait to use this beta version

I don’t know how to get notifications from this forum software. Can you also post a notice to this post when the beta is available? I’m going to follow this thread.

1 Like

You can get notifications and digests from your account profile.

1 Like

We thought about this when we added tables, and while this is indeed useful it’s not in the scope of a note-taking app.

For having formulas we would need to add labeling/numbering of the cols/rows for you to be able to reference them and choose some kind of syntax for the formula of which there is no real standard. The formula would only work in Bear and not in any other editor, nor you’ll be able to see the results in the plain text file.

That said, we want to add more power to tables (sorting for example) and we might add some kind of very basic math support (automatic sum, avg, etc…), but all of this after the 2.0 release :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You will be able to select your fonts in Bear 2! And for Bear Sans, we would love to distribute it, but we need to check with the font designer that helped us make it as it might be problematic with licensing (for personal usage, grabbing it from the app bundle should be fine).

1 Like

Even this would be pretty much an extension. Thank you for the answer!

1 Like

For the math functions in tables, please take a look at iA Writer. I find their implementation simple and elegant and if you were somewhat compatible, it would be a plus (a lot of people, myself included, use the two apps together).

Hey,

This looks awesome :star_struck:

Will we be able to search for tags in sidebar (I have so many, that is hard to find the tag I want?

I hope this B/I/U in header and the toolbar in the bottom are can be hidden by an option or something. I love the clear editor look Bear has.

Backlinks will not be in the first beta, but in a later update. We’re adding those inside the info panel like the Stats and the Table of content :slight_smile:

Very happy thaty you’re adding backlinks, but I’m disappointed that they’re hidden away by default. A value of backlinks for me is that they appear alongside the note (either on the top or bottom is fine) so I can easily see it when viewing the note.

If I have to go out of my way to view it, then it’s not that much better than the Apple Shortcut hack I’m using these days (thanks for having good support for that though!).

I see people mentioning pinning? But that would either take away space towards the right (annoying), or be a floating window (also annoying).

I understand that this can’t be a big priority right now since you need to get it out of the door, but I really hope that you eventually can find a way to let backlinks show in the editor kinda like for example Upnote does it. (That alone was enough to make me try Upnote, tho, I came coming back to Bear, there’s nothing else like Bear!).

If you’re simply not able, I understand. Hard choices has to be made in software development, but I at least wanted to make my concern known.

2 Likes

I have another concern. I see now that the search for notes field is hidden by default. I don’t mind this as long as it pops up instantly when I hit the keyboard shortcut. I really hope we don’t have it be delayed by an animation or something like that as I search in Bear all the time.

But great to finally see the beta coming!

I totally agree with you that hidden backlinks are not satisfying. Furthermore i assume that the backlinks in the information popup won’t show the context where the backlinbk appears (a snippet of surrounding text). That context gives the real value for working with backlinks.

I see two possibilities: either to put the backlinks at the end of the note OR to allow an integrated sidebar to the right of the editor where all the stuff from information panel appears (maybe in more feature rich way, in this case: with preview of context). I will later write a feature request for the right sidebar that considers that bear should never show more than three panes.

Edit, here it is:
quick writing for request for right sidebar

1 Like

Yep, found the settings. Thanks.

1 Like

There is a quick animation, but it doesn’t get in the way of searching instantly. We might even disable it for the shortcut if people find it bothersome.

1 Like

Great news. But please keep feeding the panda, don’t let him die!

2 Likes

Maybe give people the option to disable it in the settings?

And like so many already said, I’m hyped for the new Bear. Loved your app from day one and it helped me to get through my master’s degree. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t wait to try that !!! Please add me to the bear 2.0 beta for mac OS program.
I am working on a big document directly from Bear note, but definitely miss the expand/collapse feature.
I was trying to do it in Notion but would really love to be able to stay in bear for that.

Congratulations for all the work done to integrate Panda.
Really hope you will be able to maintain the clean and minimalist approach of bear into a much stronger app.

And is there any chance you ll implement a Gmail app to add an email as a task (as todoist and tick tick do) ?

I think that is the province of a task manager, which Bear is definitely not (but Todoist and Ticktick are).
You can replicate that using automation on your device with a backlink to a specific email.

1 Like

this is why I’ve been supporting Bear for so very long. Cannot wait for 2.0