Something fuzzy this way comes 🐻‍❄️

Even this would be pretty much an extension. Thank you for the answer!

1 Like

For the math functions in tables, please take a look at iA Writer. I find their implementation simple and elegant and if you were somewhat compatible, it would be a plus (a lot of people, myself included, use the two apps together).

Hey,

This looks awesome :star_struck:

Will we be able to search for tags in sidebar (I have so many, that is hard to find the tag I want?

I hope this B/I/U in header and the toolbar in the bottom are can be hidden by an option or something. I love the clear editor look Bear has.

Backlinks will not be in the first beta, but in a later update. We’re adding those inside the info panel like the Stats and the Table of content :slight_smile:

Very happy thaty you’re adding backlinks, but I’m disappointed that they’re hidden away by default. A value of backlinks for me is that they appear alongside the note (either on the top or bottom is fine) so I can easily see it when viewing the note.

If I have to go out of my way to view it, then it’s not that much better than the Apple Shortcut hack I’m using these days (thanks for having good support for that though!).

I see people mentioning pinning? But that would either take away space towards the right (annoying), or be a floating window (also annoying).

I understand that this can’t be a big priority right now since you need to get it out of the door, but I really hope that you eventually can find a way to let backlinks show in the editor kinda like for example Upnote does it. (That alone was enough to make me try Upnote, tho, I came coming back to Bear, there’s nothing else like Bear!).

If you’re simply not able, I understand. Hard choices has to be made in software development, but I at least wanted to make my concern known.

2 Likes

I have another concern. I see now that the search for notes field is hidden by default. I don’t mind this as long as it pops up instantly when I hit the keyboard shortcut. I really hope we don’t have it be delayed by an animation or something like that as I search in Bear all the time.

But great to finally see the beta coming!

I totally agree with you that hidden backlinks are not satisfying. Furthermore i assume that the backlinks in the information popup won’t show the context where the backlinbk appears (a snippet of surrounding text). That context gives the real value for working with backlinks.

I see two possibilities: either to put the backlinks at the end of the note OR to allow an integrated sidebar to the right of the editor where all the stuff from information panel appears (maybe in more feature rich way, in this case: with preview of context). I will later write a feature request for the right sidebar that considers that bear should never show more than three panes.

Edit, here it is:
quick writing for request for right sidebar

1 Like

Yep, found the settings. Thanks.

1 Like

There is a quick animation, but it doesn’t get in the way of searching instantly. We might even disable it for the shortcut if people find it bothersome.

1 Like

Great news. But please keep feeding the panda, don’t let him die!

2 Likes

Maybe give people the option to disable it in the settings?

And like so many already said, I’m hyped for the new Bear. Loved your app from day one and it helped me to get through my master’s degree. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t wait to try that !!! Please add me to the bear 2.0 beta for mac OS program.
I am working on a big document directly from Bear note, but definitely miss the expand/collapse feature.
I was trying to do it in Notion but would really love to be able to stay in bear for that.

Congratulations for all the work done to integrate Panda.
Really hope you will be able to maintain the clean and minimalist approach of bear into a much stronger app.

And is there any chance you ll implement a Gmail app to add an email as a task (as todoist and tick tick do) ?

I think that is the province of a task manager, which Bear is definitely not (but Todoist and Ticktick are).
You can replicate that using automation on your device with a backlink to a specific email.

1 Like

this is why I’ve been supporting Bear for so very long. Cannot wait for 2.0

HOW EXCITING. Been a long-time subscriber and user of Panda. Hopefully, I can be a part of this private beta!!!

So many features added which is great but really I would love backlinks done right which imo many apps get wrong such as craft. Apps need a collapsible area below or in a right sidebar that show notes linked and context of the link (header above, bullets below) ideally. But these thoughts come from outliner note taking apps which Bear is not at its core.

Also selfishly I would like built in templates, collaboration and a web app WAY more than tables etc but each of us have a different use case.

1 Like

I agree with you that showing backlinks in context would be super useful, particularly for knowledge extension and rapid idea connecting. But I suspect Bear 2.0+ will not do that - particularly given the lack of space in the info panel. I’m guessing we’ll get just a very basic list of backlinks (probably not even re-sortable). I’d LOVE to be wrong and that we get full paragraph/bullet context, link counts, proper merging of multiple backlinks per note, hover preview, and the ability to sort/filter the links (basically the awesomeness of Obsidian backlinks) - but my gut says that’s not going to happen.

1 Like

There is a quick animation, but it doesn’t get in the way of searching instantly. We might even disable it for the shortcut if people find it bothersome.

Hmm. We’ll see! The speed of the animation matter as well I suppose. I was going to write that Quick Find in Things did not use animation at all, but upon further inspection I see that it does, but it’s so quick that it’s imperceptible (I literally think the whole animation is less than a couple of frames on a 60Hz display).

As long as Bear feels light and extremely fast to use I’ll be happy!

I really hope you’re wrong, and that we eventually do get inline visible backlinks. I understand that Bear can’t be everything, but it is literally the only single thing I really miss with Bear, but it’s enough that I from time to time check out note apps if I see they have backlinks.

However, I understand that developing stuff takes time, and I can imagine that integrating a readonly-part of the editor might not be that easy to develop, so I understand their choice, and I absolutely understand prioritising getting Bear 2 out the door over this.

I just really hope they eventually tackle this. It would add so much value to Bear over me.

With “inline visible backlinks” you mean inside of the note itself?

Yes.

This is the way many note-taking and knowledge-apps do it. Typically at the top or the bottom of a note.

What this allows is you to get context based on your wikilinking and basically organically get a kind of navigation for free based on what you link. It’s absolutely brilliant concept. Both Obsidian and NotePlan do this.

To be brutally honest, I really tried to make things work with NotePlan because of their inline backlinks functionality alone. However, since their UI has the notelist in the very list (and insists on opening the folder with notes all the time) I came running back to Bear and it’s tag-list-and-notes-in-separate-panes design.