Suggestion to improve text folding UI

Thank you for your input Ian :slight_smile:

Thank you for your opinion on this topic :slight_smile:

Agree to this. I think those 2 features are strongly necessary:

• Easily available toggle button (not in submenu)
  • Hotkeys to fold/unfold all child headers including subheaders

Maybe Cmd+’ should also fold all selected headers (right now it only folds the first).

I think that the feedback you’re getting in this thread is the the three dots inline with the text is clutter. It’s hard to find visually. What’s more, “…” does not mean “Unfold” in any other app or interface. Consistency is an important component of usability.

There are other apps out there that have implemented folding in a way that is consistent with your design goals. For example, Quip hides the triangle unless you actually mouse over the header.

Like so:

This is essentially, what Bear 2 does with the paragraph menu icon.

Of course, if you actually do fold a section in Quip, the right-pointing triangle stays visible no matter where the cursor is.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Quip shares a lot of design sensibilities with Bear. They don’t have your sense of style or ergonomics, though. For example, their Heading menu is all the way over on the right margin.

I think if you were going to take inspiration from Quip, you would still want to apply Bear’s superior UX to it, by having the “folding” triangle over in the left margin, next to the paragraph menu icon.

2 Likes