Unintentional Styling?

Testing version:
Version 1.0 (2595)

What were you doing:
Was typing a normal sentence and entered down to a new line where I intended on adding a bulleted list.

What feature did you use:
Was trying to add a bulleted list on a line that was directly under a sentence I had just written.

What happened:
Instead of getting a bullet, it turned the line above into what looks like an H2 header, and the dash I was using to create the bullet turned into a divider line or separator.

What did you expect to happen:
What I expected to happen was for the line above to be left alone and the dash + space I typed to be turned into a bullet, not a divider/separator.

Notes:
As for the line that gets turned into a header, I wrote the exact sentence above it and first tried H1 which was larger, then tried H2 and that was the exact size (as far as I can tell) as the line that gets changed to an H2 header automatically when typing a dash and a space on the very next line.

Also, I tried putting the cursor on the line that gets changed to an H2 header and there’s no button or indicator that shows up in the gutter allowing you to change it.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Write something on a line (could be a word or sentence)
  2. Enter down to the very next line
  3. Type a dash
  4. Type a space

You can undo and redo by:

1. CMD + z (The sentence above should change back to normal text & there should be a dash left on the next line)
  2. Type a space (to redo the unintended styling)

So, I’m writing this in as a bug report as I don’t think this should act this way. Although, I could totally be wrong. Is Panda doing this intentionally? If so, I apologize for the report.

Hi there Marlon,

This behaviour is intended. This behaviour is in line with CommonMark.

With the new editor we’re trying to give users a more standard and compatible writing experience, this is aided with our switch to CommonMark!

Hoping this answer helps!

Ahh okay. Thank you! I guess if you wanted something like:

This is normal text with a bullet list right after

• one
  • two
  • three

… You’d have to hit enter twice to make two new lines, start an unordered list on the second new line, then go back up and delete the first new line and continue your list.

As I was typing out this response, I feel like this editor is a little more intuitive with this specific case. I wrote that single line “This is normal text with a bullet list right after” and when I entered down to a new line and hit space, it formatted that sentence like a header which is what Common Mark normally does as I’ve just learned, but as soon as I typed something after the dash (bullet) then it formatted that sentence back to the body style (I guess that’s what you might call it). Can’t do that with Panda as it styles it while you’re editing.

I think I’d like it if Panda worked this way and strayed a tad from Common Mark for things like this, but I’m probably the minority and I get that you guys are staying super close to Common Mark. Panda is different in the sense that you’re prettying up the document as you type, so maybe there should be some wiggle room? lol

Not a huge issue by any means. Panda is still really great. That just threw me a little. Thanks for the reply and for the link. I did not know about this before. Always learning something!

No problem at all, always happy to help and glad the explanation and link could help.

You know what they say, you learn something new everyday!

Regarding the decision at hand, because we wish to stay close to the CommonMark guidelines, it is unlikely that we will alter this.

However, as Panda is just currently a tester, nothing is yet set in stone. Therefore, I’ll pass on your feedback to the team in case they’d like to reconsider.

If you’ve any other queries or questions in the meantime, let me know as i’d be happy to help!

I really appreciate it! Thank you!

1 Like