Visual representation of headings: an update from the team

Ah ok, sorry for my confusion

But to be honest, on such a narrow screen a gutter doesn‘t make sense for me

TBH it feels quite busy for me (obviously you can’t please everyone :sweat_smile:). I see clear pros and cons in any of the current options, so I support any direction you end up taking.

I hide Markdown and this doesn’t bother me much personally (the top margin of the headings does bother me though!)

Bear 2 for me is a huge step forward from Bear 1. I for one appreciate all your hard work!

2 Likes

It looks very good, thanks !!!

Really appreciate the effort and the willingness of accepting user feedback. The new design is great!

will it be better if we change the number(1,2,3) color to theme color.(like red in default theme)

Please no. Markdown needs to be de-emphasised, not featured.

FWIW I prefer the current solution. But as long as they are hidden by default then I can live with the numbers. I still fail to see why numbers are necessary. If the typography does not clearly indicate heading level then there’s something more seriously wrong, i.e. it would be more useful to be able to manually configure the typeface/size etc. of the individual headers.

1 Like

I think it’s a great solution for those needing the info. Not necessary though, IMHO.

1 Like

To be honest, once I got used to what the lines on the icon meant, I didn’t have a problem with how they’re currently displayed. It gets a bit more confusing once you go beyond H3, but I doubt many notes need H4 onwards anyway. Least not in my experience.

2 Likes

I like this better than the lines-only icon.

To confirm, these will still disappear when leaving edit mode like the other markdown characters, right?

1 Like

Just saw them in the latest update and I think they look great

1 Like

I think this looks fantastic! What a clever solution. Now I know which header I selected before and make consistent header selections for the rest of the writing, because I often use all 6 header types in my notes. Thank you!

1 Like

Same here, just noticed this in the update. Absolutely love this. I find it to be the small clean indicator I was looking for. Thank you bear team for being freaking awesome! (as usual!)

would like the option to have it always on and not just on the active line for the headers. its what made bear different for me

Check the editor settings pane

1 Like

I think the numbered icons add too much noise. I love Bear for its simplicity and clean UI. And when I’m reading my notes, I don’t care if it is an H4 or H5 header. And if I really do, I could just click into the header line and would know. But I rather have a cleaner UI.

2 Likes

I appreciate it although doesn’t that show all markdown? im talking specifically about just the header icons in the gutter

That’s how it works with “hide markdown” enabled; the markdown symbols would not be visible unless you’re in edit mode on the header line.

It is either hide all or show all although as Prometheus said it shows the markdown when editing that specific line.