Wasted space in search inside of editor

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-09 um 22.06.42

Before i come to the actual topic let me say that i am a visually orientated user who likes to use the mouse. Yes, for sure, when it is comfortable i use hotkeys here and there. But generally i am chilling in front of my mac with a cup of coffee. And i am not the only user of that kind. I absolutely understand the power of hotkeys and how important they are for many user. Nevertheless do not forget the other user who need icon. How would someone know that you can search inside of the editor if there is no search icon that indicates that?

Back to topic: The search field would actually fit into the top bar of the editor, above all when it covers up the BIU-icon. It is a waste of space and therefore even a strange looking feel. In panda there is the filename so that it makes sense to place the search bar one floor below. I also miss the triangle from a former version of panda that indicates you that you can open a further field where to write the replace text

1 Like

I don’t know many (if any) macOS apps that have an icon for the search inside the document visible in the UI. ⌘F (and the search menu) are the golden standard for searching and it shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that’s using macOS for longer than a few days :slight_smile:

The space in the toolbar is not really enough to fit the search (and won’t work at all with the search and replace UI). Also we might use the current toolbar space for other things and we don’t want the search to show up in that space.

We’ve moved away from that triangle in the UI (it was a lot of wasted space), the replace can now be opened by the menu inside the search icon or via hotkey.

1 Like

You got me :sweat_smile::wink:

That is a very good argument. Eager to see what will come. Maybe a search icon? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

IMMHO, Bear isn’t a web page. It’s an app. It follows Apple UI rules and that is entirely 100% how it should be. Please don’t add fancy rubbish to the search feature. It distracts from the writing or reading process.

I know that this is my pet topic: I tried it several times in different variations and on several places, here and on reddit. I just cannot give up.
Why not use the space for the real title of the note? It is used for export to create the filename and it is shown in notes list as title of the note IF the title is settled that way. Actually that corespondents with panda. It would make me happier than you think :grin:

1 Like

I don’t know many (if any) macOS apps that have an icon for the search inside the document visible in the UI. ⌘F (and the search menu) are the golden standard for searching and it shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that’s using macOS for longer than a few days :slight_smile:

Please don’t assume to know what others do. I’ve used macs for over 20 years and I use command F maybe three times a year, and only when there’s no search icon, which almost all apps have, including yours. Having it also be on the note pane when all other panes are closed would be a smart thing to do. Once you try to force users how to work, you lose users.