YAML Front Matter - Tags & Backlinks

Version: Version 2.0 (10688)

I am successfully able to get YAML Front Matter working on MacOS as described in this post. I agree with the sentiment that it should work consistently on iOS too, but as of yet I have not had luck getting it to work on my iPhone.

Overview:
YAML Front Matter seems like a great way to consistently add extra information to our notes. It’s especially useful in a number of note taking systems where tags and backlinks shine.

Concern:
Searching for Bear Tags or Bear Backlinks* works in the YAML Front Matter space, however it does not actually create a tag or backlink or reference existing tags or backlinks. This seems to be not only counter intuitive, but in my opinion significantly cripples YAML Front Matter as a tool in Bear 2.

Acknowledgments:
YAML Front Matter is used by a number of different tools outside of Bear. I know in particular some folks use it exhaustively in tools like Obsidian, etc. As such… It may be desirable to have ‘tags’ in YAML Front Matter that syntactically match a Bear Tag or Bear Backlink but are not represented or recognized by Bear 2. Unfortunately… the inverse is ALSO true.

Suggestions:
Allow users to configure YAML Front Matters interpretation of Bear Tags and Bear Links. I’ve listed a few possible solutions below. I believe offering one or more of these solutions would be helpful.

1. GLOBAL Config - Allow users to configure YAML Front Matter interpretation at the Application level.
  2. NOTE Config - Allow users to configure YAML Front Matter interpretation at the Note level.
  3. Additional Syntax - Allow users to use an additional syntax (perhaps an escape character of some kind) to OPT-IN or OPT-OUT of whatever interpretation or lack there of is being performed.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
3 Likes