Copy and Paste using Universal Clipboard does not paste rich text content

Testing version:
Version 2.0 (10084)

What were you doing:
Copying text from Safari from my iPad and pasting the content on my Macbook Air

What feature did you use:
Universal clipboard

What happened:
An inline .rtfd file gets embedded in Bear. If you double click that it will open a new window with the text. You can copy that text and paste it back into Bear but it was unexpected to me.

Also, if I copy content from Bear as Markdown and paste in on my Air using Universal Clipboard it pastes the text but the styling needs to be corrected afterwards.

What did you expect to happen:
I expected the text content to paste inline from rich text or markdown content. There are workarounds and I can live with it this way but wanted to see if this is intentional or if this can be improved.

Thanks!

Mark

3 Likes

Hello and thanks for reporting this.

I tested what you reported and I found out that paste via the universal clipboard includes an RTFd file (you can paste it on your desktop which is a pretty neat trick) and, because of B2’s pasteboard priorities and the fact that apparently no simple text is included in the pasteboard, a file appear in the note.
If you use paste from > RTF you’ll get the correct result.

This is something we changed with Panda as copies and pastes prioritize simple text instead of rich text. I’m not sure this is the way to go for B2 and we’ll possibly revert this to B1 or add a preference.

1 Like

I would also vote for reverting to B1’s automatically using RTF. I had no idea how much I’d come to appreciate it until using B2.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for looking into this! I like the idea of having a preference for it if possible. Really liking B2!

1 Like

The next update will default to rich text when pasting from the pasteboard happens, the same as Bear 1.

5 Likes