Home Screen Customisation

It’s not too much of a profound request, but I wonder if there could be an addition to customise in the settings what is shown on the home screen/cover page of Bear rather than show the whole list of notes?

I tend to like it to be neat and minimalist and it would be great if I could have the ability to change the settings and choose one of following options to display upon opening Bear:

1. A new plain note is automatically created, thereby showing me a blank page primed for jotting down notes.

2. A note of my choosing — any note I want — a to-do list, for example, or a reference file I frequently refer to.

3. A list of all the notes from a specific tag.

Thanks a lot.

Hi there,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a post with some feedback for us here.

I can see that this is your first time posting on the forum, so welcome to the community!

Regarding the above, this is not something that is currently within our short term plans, but thank you for providing your perspective on this.

If you’d like to quickly create a new note, you can do so by using the Command + N shortcut.

You can also right click on Bear’s icon in the dock and select “New Note” to quickly create and open a new note for Bear.

If you’d like to have quick access to a particular note, we’d advise to pin it to the top of the Notes List.

You could also pin a master note to the top that contains quick links to other important notes that you’d like fast access to.

You can use Wiki Links to do this, more on Wiki Links can be found here: Bear 1.7.15 is out with new features for wiki links, HTML export, and more

Regarding point 3, if you click into a specific tag on the SideBar, it will display the list of notes that contain that tag.

We have had other requests regarding the Notes List view, such as having the ability to make it a compact view with not image and description previews.

We also had requests regarding wanting the ability to split work vs personal notes.

These are things we’re thinking about exploring, so as the above advice may not be exactly what you are looking for, i’ll pass on your feedback for when we are revisiting this topic.

In the meantime if you’ve any other queries or questions, let me know as i’d be happy to help!