Support inline embedding of video file

I wish a new feature.

When a video file appears in a note, it can be shown in an “embedded” style, i.e., a system video player is placed inline with other content. We can play or pause the video playing directly in the note. Or if downgraded, a preview of the video is shown inline with other content in note.

Many regards,

3 Likes

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback and suggestion.

Regarding embedding videos, we’ve decided against adding the ability to play videos inside the Editor at the moment.

We agree that it could be of benefit, but we also have to consider does it make sense for Bear?, and what the possible drawbacks of adding it are.

Therefore, as noted, we ultimately decided against adding the ability for now.

However, if anything was to change regarding this though we’d let the community know!

This is something i am interested in too.

Reasoning:

1. I use Bear and Panda to prepare my blog posts or articles to be published on the web
  2. I prefer videos over gifs because with correct compression mp4s are much smallers than gifs.
  3. I like to see a preview of the video when I prepare my article without having to click on it. When I say preview I mean to see the first image = frame of the video.

Right now We see the first frame with gifs but not with videos.
We can still plays videos by double clicking on them. It is fine in my opinion and does not give the responsibility to Bear to implement a video player (no extra complexity).

But If we could have Bear show the first frame that would be a nice quality of life improvement.

Hi there,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a post with some feedback for us here.

I can see that this is your first time posting on the forum, so welcome to the community!

Regarding the above, the closest thing possible at the moment is previewing a link, for example a link to a YouTube video.

You can use Command + K to insert a YouTube link into Panda.

You can title the link and then you can select “Show preview” and click “Done”.

This will give you a preview of the YouTube link.

Regarding embedding videos in general, as mentioned above it’s not something we currently plan to support.

But if you’ve any other queries or questions, let me know as i’d be happy to help!

I can understand why allowing videos to play back within the app might not sync with the purpose of the app. I would like to suggest thought - like you have a preview for embedding YouTube videos, a similar option to see the contents of the video would be visually useful (other than just the title)

I’d like to add to this - will it be possible in time to resize the preview of links, like can be done with photos and gifs?

Hi there,

Thank you for your enquiry. It hasn’t been discussed whether we would or wouldn’t support this in the future. Therefore, I’ll add a vote to this for you and pass it onto the rest of the team to weigh up :slight_smile:

Hi TedwardBear,

since you collect votes for that great feature take my vote too :smiley:

1 Like

Hehe, that is correct, I am indeed the collector! I have now collected and added this vote :smiley: